Saturday 17 October 2009

28th September 2009

Fresher’s Week!

I’m almost at bursting point about how excited I am about Uni. Every random person I meet has to endure a 10 second, high pitched shrill about how I’m off to Uni and how awesome it’s going to be! Of course by about the third week of daily lectures, numerous assignments and constant commuting I’m sure the enthusiasm will wear off, but for now I love every second.

Small outbursts aside - I think I have managed to control myself reasonably well…until the fresher’s fair! This is where most Portsmouth companies come and practically give their products away! OK...I admit most of it was junk and ended up in the bin, since these things are aimed at younger students: for example I don’t think I need to call up BSM for their discount on driving lessons, since I’ve had a licence for the best part of ten years. And, as much as it pains me to say, I won’t be attending the pubs and clubs for their student discount nights. Although I am quite curious as to what “spank the student” at the Aussie bar is all about? But I will resist for now and happily enjoy only taking advantage of the incredibly cheap alcohol in the student union through the day for now! I’m sure once I found a few younger student friends I may be tempted out? But it is a bit overwhelming being surrounded by young students who are living the care-free and no attachments life.

At least I’m not alone as a mature student since my friend and former rival (friendly) on the Biology course at Highbury is taking the same course. And I have spied the odd older looking face in among the crowds of welcome lectures.

Wandering around the fair as two mature students is such a surreal experience, but hilariously funny. Most of them didn’t believe we are students or you get handed something like blue wrist bands and a packet which contains a condom to help prevent sexually transmitted infections! What kind of dirty old women do they think we are!?
My girls were especially happy when I returned home with my bags of goodies, not because they were pleased to see me, but because they spotted the lollipops in the bags.

So excitement over it’s straight into it on Monday, a full day of lectures…I can’t wait! No really!!

No comments:

Post a Comment